Si Trova: a Militello in Val di Catania
Lat: 37° 16' 16.40667" N - Long: 14° 47' 43.73040" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
Between Via del Castello and Via Pernice, the today visible remains of the castle of Militello, probably built in the fourteenth century, consist of a cylindrical tower, the door, a square tower and a magnificent fountain.
The fortress had a square plan and at the four corners of the walls there were cylindrical towers.
At the center of one side rose a quadrangular tower used as a dwelling.
In 1357 the castle hosted a meeting of the Sicilian parliament that resolved the fight against the enemies of King Federico IV of Sicily.
In 1410 the Queen Bianca of Navarra was hosted in the castle, fleeing from the mighty Bernardo Cabrera, Count of Modica.
In the night between 26 and 27 August 1473 in the castle a passionate crime took place: the baron Antonio Piero Barresi killed his wife, Donna Aldonza Santapau, falsely accused of adultery by the two brothers-in-law, and his alleged lover, the secretary Pietro Caruso.
The castle suffered serious damage due to the 1542 earthquake, and had numerous renovations.
It had a library of 10,000 volumes, a typography, a prestigious collection of armor, a distillery and the stables.
In 1605 the waters of the "Zizza" spring were channeled to lead them to the village; the marquis of Militello don Francesco Branciforte, in remembrance of the event, erected a commemorative fountain in the center of the castle's atrium.
Today the fountain is one of the symbolic places of Militello.
After the serious damage of the 1693 earthquake the castle was only partially repaired and was abandoned.
During the last two hundred years the ruins of the castle have been used as a stone to build private homes; at the beginning of the nineteenth century it has been divided and sold to private individuals to use as dwellings.
Today we discover...
The only beach that allows you to bathe easily on a turquoise sea
Spiaggia del Porto
Click for info
Last Inserted Points