Si Trova: vicino Francofonte
Lat: 37° 14' 11.88739" N - Long: 14° 53' 6.586833" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
Surrounded by citrus groves and vineyards, the ruins of the castle of Chadra remain a testimony of an ancient splendor begun in 1270, the year in which there is the first documentation of a farmhouse called "Chadra".
Only in 1307 Giovanni De Lamia built the fortress.
It is a "baglio" that appears in the form of a large master tower with a fortified courtyard around it.
It was built by exploiting the promontory formed by a bend of the Canale stream which, with deeply incised walls, made this part of the fortress inaccessible; today this feature is less visible due to the subsequent terracing of the land.
The farmhouse following the earthquake of 1552 and, above all, that of 1693, was gradually abandoned.
Even if its ruins can be visited, today the castle is located in a private property.
The tower, although ruined, shows a multi-level structure, with large walls equipped with windows and loopholes, and a portal.
The walls had to be about four meters high and enclosed an irregular rectangular courtyard.
Two moats were part of the fortifications, arranged in the north and west, one of which remained unfinished and is currently buried.
To the south of the tower a building was added, of which only a few remains survive, which must have had considerable importance in the complex.
Outside the castle, a long staircase leads to a basement that is kept closed.
The entrance, documented until 1926 and no longer in existence today, was located at the northeast corner; through it you entered a first small courtyard, connected to the baglio by a short flight of stairs carved directly into the rock.
Inside the large baglio there were numerous containers and cisterns dug into the rock, now buried.
Man's neglect is gradually destroying this castle; many parts existing until 1926 have already been destroyed.
What happened in Sicily: 23 September
Last Inserted Points
Gnuni has 597 Points!