Si Trova: nella collina storica di Paternò
Lat: 37° 33' 55.99417" N - Long: 14° 53' 38.00247" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
It is one of the most remarkable monuments left by the normans.
It is a majestic 34-meter high parallelepiped tower that, from the top of a basaltic fortress, dominates the town.
The castle was built in 1072 by the Great Count Ruggero to guarantee, together with the castles of Adrano and Motta Sant'Anastasia, the protection of the Simeto valley from Islamic incursions.
It was assigned to the daughter of Ruggero, Flandrina, wife of Enrico di Lombardia.
Around the castle and the small village the population began to grow thanks to the numerous mercenaries following the norman conquerors, and the arrival of settlers from northern Italy attracted by the privileges granted to them.
The first nucleus of the manor was soon enlarged and used for civil uses, becoming the noble seat of the County of Paternò that Henry VI of Swabia assigned in 1195 to the noble of norman origin Bartolomeo de Luci.
The Castle in the following years hosted kings and queens, including the Emperor Frederick II of Swabia, Queen Eleanor of Anjou and Queen Bianca of Navarre.
By concession of Frederick II it passed to Galvano Lancia.
After 1431 it belonged to the Speciale family and from 1456 until the end of feudalism it was the property of the Moncada family.
Used as a prison in the eighteenth century, began the process of degradation and abandonment, but since the end of the nineteenth century it had several restorations.
On the ground floor there are a series of service areas and the chapel of St John adorned with very precious frescos from the 13th century.
On the first floor the large arms room is illuminated by a series of beautiful mullioned windows; here you can also see interesting graffiti left by prisoners.
On the top floor, four large rooms once used for the king's residence, are disengaged from a room with big size closed on both sides by two large and magnificent Gothic mullioned windows that opens towards a beautiful panorama of the Simeto on one side and the Etna on the other.
Opening hours: Tuesday to Saturday from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm.
Today we discover...
On a country road a surprising effect!
Click for info
Last Inserted Points
Gnuni has 641 Points!