Lat: 37° 43' 12.97286" N - Long: 12° 53' 19.07723" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
The Partanna Castle is one of the best preserved castles in western Sicily.
It has very ancient origins, it seems to date back to 988.
It belonged to the Grifeo; subsequently the lands and the castle were granted to the Regia Curia and subsequently to Ludovico Aragona and again returned to the Grifeo.
In 1890 the castle was sold to the Baron Adragna of Trapani who rearranged, around 1898, the part in front of the castle and created a lookout that took its name.
Since 1991 the castle has been under the custody of the Superintendency of Cultural and Environmental Heritage of Trapani which has made the premises suitable for hosting the civic museum of prehistory.
It has the solemn appearance of an ancient crenellated fortress and three large building areas arranged around a large rectangular courtyard.
All the most beautiful features of castles, towers, battlements and thick walls are found here.
It has a ground floor and a basement and has a portal from 1658.
On one of the entrances is the coat of arms of the Adragna family.
On one side of the hall, known as the "arms room", there is a small door that leads to a room called the "nun's cell" allegedly enclosed by a religious of the Grifeo family.
Next to the main living room is the dining room connected to the garden via an external staircase.
In the garden there are the entrances that lead to the underground rooms.
In some rooms of the cellars an ethno-anthropological museum is set up consisting of instruments and tools of rural civilization.
Visiting hours: every day, Sundays included; From October to April: from 9:30 am to 12:30 am and from 3:30 pm to 6:30 pm from May to September: from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm and from 4:30 pm to 7:30 pm For info tel: 0924.923571; Free entry.
Today we discover...
Neck of Motta S.Anastasia
The best example of neck in Italy
Neck di Motta S.Anastasia
Click for info
Last Inserted Points