Lat: 37° 39' 45.79920" N - Long: 14° 49' 53.45812" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
The construction of the Mother Church of Adrano dates back to the norman age.
A subsequent construction was commissioned by Francesco II Moncada between 1572 and 1592.
In 1750 the dome was added, covered with bright bricks of Valenza.
The interior of the Church, Latin cross, is divided into three naves by sixteen basalt columns.
At the end of the transept there are two chapels with a statue of Christ at the Column from 1777 and a canvas depicting the Last Supper, a work attributed to the Spanish painter Luis de Morales (1520-1586).
In the chapel of the Sacred Heart there are two paintings, works by Giuseppe Guzzardi, representing the Repentance of the Magdalene and the appearance of Jesus to the Blessed Alacoque.
The chapel is also enriched by various frescoes.
In the central apse, on the sides of the main altar there are two works by Angelo La Naia: The call of the angel and The death of St Nicholas Politi, patron saint of Adrano.
To the left of the main altar you can admire a chapel in which the Assumption of the Virgin Mary emerges, a splendid canvas by Alessandro Vasta set in a magnificent frame of gilded wood.
The central altar is built in polychrome marble.
Along the perimeter of the apse is built, in wooden material, the choir work of the Spedalieri brothers from Troina (1774).
In the transept, in correspondence of the two side chapels, there are four works attributed to the school of Zoppo di Gangi (XVII century) representing King Solomon, the Annunciation, King David Crowned and the Archangel Gabriel, most probably being part of a polyptych.
Above the baptistery there is a canvas depicting The Genesis of sin, probably a Flemish school dated 1723.
Along the side aisles are the marble altars, sepulchral monuments of the noblest families of eighteenth-century in Adrano, numerous canvases and a beautiful crucifix on a panel of the ' 400.
Above the central portal is placed the magnificent "Polittico Moncada", the most magnificent of central-eastern Sicily, a monumental work most probably executed between the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, commissioned by the Moncada family.
The great polyptych depicts in the central scenes the disbelief of St Thomas and the Holy Family, surrounded by saints: in the upper left St Peter and on the right St Paul and in the lower left St Anthony the Abbot and on the right St John the Evangelist; in the lunette Jesus Christ Pantocrator, ruler of the world.
What happened in Sicily: 23 September
Last Inserted Points
Gnuni has 597 Points!