Si Trova: in provincia di Ragusa
Lat: 36° 56' 50.91554" N - Long: 14° 36' 24.92660" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
The territory of Comiso has been inhabited since prehistoric times, as evidenced by the caves and residential settlements dating back to the eneolithic period.
In the byzantine period there was a farmhouse that was equipped with forts and defense towers.
During the arab domination dry stone walls were born, which still characterize the hilly landscape today.
In 1571 Gaspare Naselli raised the "Baronato" of Comiso into "Contea".
During the Renaissance the town was enriched by the major churches and by numerous convents and monasteries.
In 1693 the disastrous earthquake that affected the entire Val di Noto razed the major churches to the ground.
As for the more recent history, in 1944, due to the dissatisfaction with the obligation of military service, Comiso declared himself an independent Republic, and remained so for a whole week until the town was not threatened by bombing.
After the second world war the Comiso airport was destined to a NATO base, which lasted until 1987, when it was demobilized.
When in 1999 Comiso received more than 5,000 Kosovar refugees, who escaped the outbreak of an armed conflict, on the premises of the former NATO base, it was renamed "Town of Peace".
To visit: the 15th century Mother Church; the Basilica Maria SS Annunziata, built around 1500 on the remains of the pre-existing byzantine church of St Nicola; the sanctuary of St Francesco all'Immacolata, built under the Chiaramonte in the early fourteenth century and currently recognized as a National Monument; the Church of San Biagio, built in 1500 on the ruins of an ancient church (III-IV century), in turn incorporated into the structures of the Romanesque church of St Biagio il Vecchio.
Also worth seeing is the Pagoda of Peace, one of the very few pagodas built in Europe, built in 1998, and the Castle of the Naselli of Aragon, which for a long time were lords of Comiso.
Today we discover...
Castle of Forza D'Agrò
A fortress-shelter with a majestic view of the sea
Click for info
Last Inserted Points
Gnuni has 613 Points!