Si Trova: in provincia di Catania
Lat: 37° 12' 53.06817" N - Long: 14° 38' 11.04552" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
Grammichele is located on the slopes of the Iblei mountains and is characteristic for having a regular hexagonal plant, similar to a spider web.
The central square and the structure of the streets repeat the theme of the hexagon and the six streets that start from the central square reach as many peripheral squares.
On 11 January 1693 a terrible earthquake destroyed the ancient town of Occhiolà, fief of Carlo Maria Carafa, prince of Butera and Roccella, baron of Occhiolà.
The village was no longer rebuilt; the prince preferred to refound a new town a few kilometers further south.
The area on which the medieval village stood, of which the imposing ruins of the castle and a large part of the urban fabric are still visible, called Terravecchia, is one of the most interesting archaeological areas of eastern Sicily.
A lot of remains bear witness to the presence of an ancient center identified in the hellenized Sicilian town of Eketla.
With the establishment of the Municipal Archaeological Park, the area also assumed a tourist value because it preserves all the settlements prior to the earthquake of 1693.
Those wishing to visit the archaeological site Eketla in the morning can go to the historical center of Grammichele to visit the Museum and other buildings and monuments of considerable interest such as the horizontal sundial as well as the Mother Church which has paintings from the 17th and 18th centuries, the Church of the Holy Spirit, which houses original paintings such as the painting of St Francis of Paola of 1830, by Michelangelo Selva, the paintings of Barberis, depicting the appearance of Jesus to St Maria la Coque and the souls in purgantie.
A seventeenth-century papier-mâché statue of Christ on the column is carried in procession through the streets of the town on Wednesday of Holy Week.
The Church of San Leonardo contains a precious Crucifix from Occhiolà, attributed to fra' Umile da Petralia (1580-1693).
Has a particular symbolic value for the population of Grammichele, as well as a place of pilgrimage and home to an ancient popular festival, the Sanctuary of the Madonna del Piano, the only building in Occhiolà to have been spared from the earthquake of 1693.
Today we discover...
Grifeo Castle of Partanna
One of the best preserved western Sicilian castles
Click for info
Last Inserted Points
Gnuni has 666 Points!