Si Trova: a Palermo
Lat: 38° 6' 48.93307" N - Long: 13° 22' 7.840778" E
Add to My Itineraries
Add to Wishing List
The marvelous basilica commonly known as "Magione" was built, with the annexed monastery, around 1191 by Matteo D'Aiello, high royal dignitary under the norman king Tancredi, and was named after the Holy Trinity.
King Tancredi buried his son Roger there and he himself wanted to be buried here.
To build this church, workers of Islamic origins were used, and even today its arab-norman features, with ogival windows and the intertwined arches of the apses, bring to mind the most flourishing medieval period in Sicily.
Initially here there were the Cistercian monks, then the Teutonic knights, who made significant changes to the original structure of the church.
Later there were commendatory abbots, including the future Pope Alexander VI, who made further changes.
Following renovations brought the church back to its original appearance as much as possible, but the Anglo-American and German bombings of 1943 damaged it, so the church was extensively restored with the reconstruction of some parts.
Inside, once very rich, today we find few works, but with great artistic importance: on the right wall there is a 16th century font, a blessing Christ of the Gagini workshop, a late Gothic marble triptych and a magnificent Pietà Campini from 1953; in the left wall the sarcophagus of the Rational Master of the Kingdom Frandesco Perdicaro, by Vincenzo Gagini, with a Cross with the emblem of the Teutonic knights, a statue of the Madonna with Child still from the Gagini workshop and a Renaissance portal attributed to Francesco Laurana.
The crypt is accessible from a trap door near the main altar; there have been found sepulchral and ossuary caves.
The ancient wooden roof, with Arab decorations, was lost due to the Anglo-American bombing of 1943.
Outside there are some structures, dating back to the 12th century, of the Cistercian monastery and the cloister.
Another peculiarity is a mullioned window in whose central column there is an Arabic inscription.
The church is closed only on Sunday and holiday afternoons.
Admission is free.
For info tel: 091 6170596.
Today we discover...
Mokarta Archaeological area
The Pompeii of Prehistory
Area archeologica di Mokarta
Click for info
Last Inserted Points
Gnuni has 641 Points!